Job Title: Marketing Manager
Reports to: General Manager CairnGorm
Direct reports: External 3rd party suppliers
The Marketing Manager will play an active role in driving visitors all year round to CairnGorm Mountain by delivering the marketing strategy for CairnGorm Mountain. The role will be instrumental in raising the profile of CairnGorm Mountain as a year round visitor attraction and being a local brand champion. PR is a key part of the role within the local community and the wider regional and national audience and will be vital in the company’s ambition in achieving its goal of hitting a turnover of £10 million within the next 7 years.
With a passion for outdoor activities and an understanding of the snow sports market you will be heavily involved in a variety of activities at this amazing day visitor attraction. This role will be an integral part of the team that will be developing this unique location as a Centre of Excellence for future years. You will work with the SVP to develop the year-round marketing plan to include both on and offline channels as well as being responsible for the marketing budget.
The Marketing Manager is a key member of the senior management team on the mountain. The day to day reporting line will be to the General Manager on site and ultimately to the Senior Vice President located in the central office in Cheshire. You will need to be a self-starter with drive and energy as it will mean working under pressure at peak periods. Cairngorm Mountain is a 7 day operation. Some flexibility over working days will be needed as the working week may not always be Monday to Friday.
- Manage the CairnGorm Mountain website updating content and taking ownership of the integration with key systems
- Manage and update all social channels including Facebook and Instagram devising and curating all content as well as responding to customer questions and comments in a timely manner.
- To escalate any items arising for further investigation or liaise with others for responses.
- Identify new opportunities for on-site events or projects and manage them to ensure they run on schedule, to budget and maximize profile and impact.
- Maintains regular dialogue with the team at Head Office.
- To write quality interesting copy for a wide ranging array of communication channels including PR agency.
- Work with the Management team to develop and deliver a comprehensive email marketing strategy and programme
- Liaise with in-house designer, and printers to ensure that all collateral is produced on brand, on time and on budget.
- To provide analysis and reporting on a weekly and monthly basis evaluating visitor numbers, ski pass sales, funicular tickets and other revenue areas.
- Monitor and evaluate all marketing activity to ensure we are receiving maximum ROI.
- Liaise with other departments across CairnGorm Mountain to understand how best to position their activity area and to market accordingly.
- To own and develop relationships with the internal stakeholders to maximise marketing opportunities.
- To work with the PR Agency and to manage all press activity, statements and media relations.
- Owns, develops utilises relationships with key external stakeholders including Visit Scotland, BSSSA, Ski Scotland, CairnGorm Business Partnership, BASI, Scottish Government, Cairngorm National Parks, RSPB, HIE etc. to best effect.
- To search out and negotiate various sponsorship deals appropriate to the location as a day visitor attraction
- To manage enquiries from film crews, radio stations and other external bodies interested in using the Mountain and obtain a suitable arrangement.
- To assist in managing events such as Groove Cairngorm, Competitions, races etc.
- To manage the Scottish Snow Sports programme
- To attend regular on-site management meetings, and provide reports as needed.
- To attend external meetings with the various external stakeholders to represent Natural Retreats CairnGorm Mountain including some outside of normal working hours
- To network in the local area acting as a brand champion
- To liaise daily with the on-site General manager on projects, events and other activities
- To ensure that anywhere on site guest care is always a first priority and the support and assistance is provided to other teams at exceptional peak times
- To always be well presented wearing company provided uniform
- Periodic visits to Head Office
- Adhere to and champion CairnGorm Mountain mission, vision and values.
- Accommodates special requests when appropriate and possible.
- Undertaking any other duties which may, from time to time, be necessary to ensure the smooth running of the department
- Be an active member of the CairnGorm Mountain management team, ensuring that opportunities to raise the profile during wider CairnGorm Mountain promotional events are maximised.
- When requested assist as Duty Manager for the site.
- Ensure daily/weekly and monthly reporting is accurate and timely.
- Fulfil any reasonable request from senior management.
- Ideally minimum 5 years marketing experience in travel/hospitality related sector
- Previous experience in a fast paced, high profile marketing role, preferably at a Manager level
- Multi-channel marketing experience to include digital, advertising, PR and email
- Evidence of excellent writing skills
- Experience in the day visitor attraction or snow sports market would be a distinct advantage.
- Previous experience of managing budgets
- Strong experience/awareness of offering exceptional service and the requirements of this.
- Degree educated, ideally in a marketing related subject
- Ability to write compelling copy and targeted marketing straplines
- Passion for delivering an amazing service and experience
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office packages (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint)
- Technically proficient with computers and digital platforms
- Thorough understanding of all social media channels
- Team Player including the management, supervision and motivation of others
- Strong administrative and organisational skills
- Commitment to customer care with a strong customer focus
- Influencing skills
- Problem solver
- Commercial awareness and understanding
- Excellent attention to detail
- Full driving licence
- Organised and efficient, able to prioritise numerous tasks at one time
- Strong communicator orally and in writing
- Confident and outgoing with a mature approach, able to build relationships and trust easily both internally and externally.
- Strong networker both internally and externally with a friendly and welcoming approach
- Able to respond constructively to changing requirements and deadlines
- Solutions orientated with a creative ‘can-do’ approach and ability to make it happen
- Proactive, flexible and adaptable to a fast moving environment
- Must work well as part of a team
- Excellent and effective verbal and written skills
- Able to work autonomously and off own initiative
- Honesty and integrity
- Prepared to travel
CairnGorm Mountain is the most popular snowsports destination in Scotland, located within the Cairngorms National Park, and has been offering snowsports for over 50 years. The resort is a major tourist hub and it provides an uplift system to the top of Cairngorm. In winter, the Resort is a commercial ski operation. In summer the Resort serves as a summer tourist destination for walkers, nature lovers and outdoor lovers. The surrounding area attracts over 1.4 million annual visitors predominantly in summer with the Resort itself attracting over 200,000 annual visitors.
CairnGorm Mountain resort covers 1,418 hectares and can attract over 120,000 skiing and snowboarding visitors in the busy winter period. The Resort offers the only funicular railway in Scotland. Completed in 2001 the funicular railway is the main transport link to the top of Cairngorm Mountain and is open all year round. The Resort encompasses the UK’s highest Restaurant which sits at 1,097m above sea level. The Ptarmigan building boasts impressive views of Britain’s highest mountain plateau. The Resort is an internationally renowned area of scientific interest. The Resort and surrounding areas contain unique natural habitats and wildlife protected by EU legislation
To apply for this role, please e-mail a covering letter and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.